Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Time's Booklist

Oh no, it's another booklist! 100 best English-language novels from 1923 to the present. And I've only read 38 of them. (Although I did promise my fiance that I would soon read The Crying of Lot 49.

I've read: Animal Farm (two days ago, heh); Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret (kick ass); Beloved; The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe; Lolita; Lord of the Flies (ugh); The Lord of the Rings; Midnight's Children; Brideshead Revisted; Catch-22; The Catcher in the Rye; A Clockword Orange; The Corrections (hell yes); Mrs. Dalloway; Native Son; 1984; One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest; Pale Fire (yay); A Passage to India (bleh); Possession; Death Comes for the Archibishop; The French Lieutenant's Woman; Go Tell It on the Mountain (one of my colleagues made a case for this as the Great American Novel); Gone with the Wind; The Grapes of Wrath; Rabbit, Run; Slaughterhouse-Five; Snow Crash (cool choice); The Sound and the Fury (the best Faulkner); The Great Gatsby; The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter; Invisible Man; Their Eyes Were Watching God; Things Fall Apart; To Kill a Mockingbird; To the Lighthouse; Tropic of Cancer; White Noise (woo); and Wide Sargasso Sea (not woo).

Whew!

2 Comments:

Blogger K said...

Interesting list. Some of these I've not even heard of. Why 1923? Is that when Time was founded?

I was quite pleased to find I've read 22, thinking "I hardly read any twentieth-century stuff these days that isn't SF, fantasy or crime, so I'll have a totally pitiful score".

In fact, I've decided to do a reading-list project like yours in order to widen my horizons. I'll be journalling it at livejournal. Not the most original move, but I desperately need to be more adventurous.

3:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home