Saturday, October 01, 2005

A Long Way Down (by Nick Hornby)

My first Nick Hornby! I wanted to read this book as soon as I heard about it, because I thought that it was pretty much the best premise for a book that I had ever heard: four people run into each other on the roof of a building, each planning to throw themselves off the top. They make a pact that they won't kill themselves for six weeks, and see what happens.

I read this book in one go yesterday; it kept me very enthralled. I have this vague feeling that it could have had more density to it, because I don't quite trust a book that I can breeze through in a day. But regardless of bad reviews--and I don't know what those reviews say, I'm sure they have a point--I really enjoyed it. I thought the characters were interesting (although the physical descriptions could have been better, maybe, which is also my problem with Thursday Next--I have no idea what she looks like whatsoever, but that's a different story), the story didn't have a too-neat resolution.

Anyway I don't know how it stacks up to his other stuff, but I liked it a lot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home