Tuesday, September 13, 2005

The Eyre Affair (by Jasper Fforde)

I’m trying to pin down exactly how I feel about this book. On one hand, I’m interested enough in the world and the series to try the next book. On the other hand, it is kind of confusingly written, with a lot of loose ends (maybe that’s why there’s a series), characters that never quite crystallize (including the main character, whose name is Thursday Next) and the most abrupt and unbelievable romantic resolution I’ve ever read. Also the most ridiculous “how to stop the villain” plot point in the world. You’re telling me that never occurred to anyone before? Plus, we never know where the villain gets his unique powers--another loose end. And there are some massive problems with point of view that really threw me off.

The premise (the blurred lines between literature and reality) is intriguing, the two main villains are both great characters in their own ways, and the names are clever--in fact, too clever by half. The literary allusions are fun and frequently funny. The Richard III scene is great. I don’t know. I liked this book enough to read the next one, and to re-read Jane Eyre, but I don’t know if I’d actually recommend it to anyone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home