Monday, September 19, 2005

Jane Eyre (by Charlotte Brontë)

I thought I'd read this book before and hated it, but maybe it was the movie that I saw and hated, because I barely remembered anything about this book. I got so absorbed in it that I actually stayed up one night reading. I mean, I know how it turns out of course, but I was really into it!

It read to me like a really absorbing romance novel. You feel vaguely guilty about it, because it's a little lurid and idealized. But in spite of the whole "sir" and "master" bit, Jane has a hell of a backbone and a decent sense of humor, and she's an enjoyable character. I don't know where I got the idea that she was humorless; possibly from the stupid movie version with stupid William Hurt. (You know who would make the perfect Rochester? Alan Rickman. I can't believe someom hasn't made this movie solely so they can cast him in it.)

I don't even think Jane Eyre is on my reading list; it might not be considered a very important classic, and that's probably true. But it's still fun to read, or at least, I had a lot of fun reading it.

5 Comments:

Blogger K said...

"You feel vaguely guilty about it, because it's so lurid and idealized". Yup. I should reread that too. Have you read any Wilkie Collins? He's even more lurid - my guilty pleasure.

A less important classic? I don't know; we did it at university and went into post-colonial, post-feminist readings at great length, which I'm not sure did much for my enjoyment of the book.

This has made me think about various books I ought to reread, especially Wuthering Heights. I read that far too young and vast chunks of it went over my head (I remember saying afterwards that not much seemed to happen in it, which can't possibly be right). But because I didn't enjoy it, I've never re-read it. First impressions can be a killer.

2:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alan Rickman yes! Also Mathew Mconnawhatsit from the new P&P in his swingy coat.

11:49 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I hated Jane Eyre when I was in high school, but re-read it a few years ago. I absolutely loved it! I've a new found love for the classics--many were wasted on me in high school and earlier. I didn't like Wuthering Heights at all though.

Alan Rickman--absolutely! I think someone needs to do this.

3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should give a try to Jane Eyre 1973 adaptation (with Sorcha Cusack and Michael Jayston; recently appeared on DVD). There you could find both the wit and humour of Jane & Rochester and a wonderful chemistry between the main leads.

12:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, the 1973 version really captures the essence of the novel like no other adaptation with lots of humour as well. It's also very faithful to the book

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home