Sunday, October 02, 2005

Something Rotten (by Jasper Fforde)

The fourth and last book in the series. Yes, the cliffhanger is resolved and the loose ends tied; in fact, it's pretty impressive that a loose end from book #1 is tied up in book #4. Plus, this book ends with a clever twist (which I really should have seen coming) that makes me want to read #3, in particular, all over again. Oh, very crafty, Jasper Fforde.

I still think #3 is my favorite of the books, and #1 is definitely my least favorite. It took a while for Fforde to get me on his side. But the literary inside jokes and originality of the world and clever humor and references make the series as a whole very charming, so I do give it a thumbs up for those who love literature. (How can you not love a book where one of the characters speaks Lorem Ipsum?) I suggest you think of it as a four-part miniseries instead of, like, a movie and its sequels.

My favorite wink at the audience is the role of the Minotaur in the last book. It's never acknowledged, but there's only one way he could make certain things happen, isn't there? And I still wonder why Landen's books are never a factor... unless.... damn you, Fforde!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home