Monday, November 29, 2021

They Both Die at the End (by Adam Silva)

A great premise: a service called Death-Cast calls and warns you on the day you're going to die.  Two boys, Rufus and Mateo, each get the call and their lives intersect on their last day.

I thought this was going to have me weeping at the end but it didn't impact me nearly as much as More Happy Than Not, which similarly has a sci-fi hook and a M/M love story.  Some of the things that didn't quite work for me: the chemistry of the main couple (which barely existed), the interstitials by other characters (which either needed to be more fleshed out or not there at all), the number of near-escapes (characters who are destined to die but still somehow survive car crashes, explosions, and gunfire.   

 This had a lot of potential and I like Silva's work, but this one ultimately didn't gel for me. 

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home