Monday, October 25, 2021

White Bird (by R. J. Palacio)

This is a book my daughter read and before she wou,d return it to the library, she insisted I read it as well. White Bird is a graphic novel about a Jewish girl in France during the war, who ends up having to hide from the Nazis. It's also a Wonder spinoff; the opening and closing chapters are the girl, now a grandmother, telling her story over Facetime to Julian, her grandson and a character from Wonder.

This is a well-done and very moving story, and seemed an appropriate way to introduce my daughter to the Holocaust. Growing up I knew bits and pieces. We had survivors in the family, a near-miss when my grandfather was almost conscripted into a "work camp," and losses in the extended family. My great-aunt and great-uncle are on the wall at Yad Vashem for saving the life of a Jewish child by faking a pregnancy themselves. We babysat for a family whose grandmother had the tattoo on her arm, which we didn't fully understand at the time.  So I don't remember how I learned about it, except in bits and pieces.  But this opened up a good dialogue in addition to being a good read; and I'm glad she shared this book with me. 

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home