Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Milk Fed (by Melissa Broder)

Oh I really liked this one. It's erotic and strange. It's about a secular Jewish woman with an eating disorder and a fraught relationship with her mother, who falls in love with a fat Orthodox woman who works at a frozen yogurt shop. 

It's not a long book but there's a lot going on. Some of the folks on Goodreads felt her description of Miriam was "fetishizing" but it all made sense to me.  Our narrator, Rachel, is obsessed with her own thinness and experiences Miriam's body as an erotic object representing her desire for food, her fears about her weight, and also authentic attraction. None of it feels dismissive or simplified.

I would love to see this in the Tournament, I think there's a lot of food (ha) for discussion here and I find Broder's writing compelling. Another good ToB find!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home