Thursday, September 20, 2018

A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail (by Bill Bryson)

My first Bill Bryson book and it isn't bad. Full disclosure: for the "nature" category of the Read Harder Challenge I got over halfway through The Death and Life of the Great Lakes and then couldn't take it anymore, god it was so boring and so depressing, I was like, I can't. I'd heard Bryson was funny and breezy, so I switched books, and this was a super fast read, especially in comparison.

I didn't love Bryson's attitude about his fellow hikers; for example, he was pretty condescending towards his hiking companion, who hiked with him for hundreds of miles, because he was fatter and slower.  (Lots of little jabs at fat people throughout, which you know I don't find charming.)  He discusses the nature of the trail and some of the history, which was fun.

The thing I that I have already read Wild, which is similarly themed but ten million times better. So this suffered in comparison.  Still, it was a fast and mostly enjoyable read.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home