Monday, July 30, 2018

Pop-Culture Vaycay Reads

I read two books on my weekend trip to Cleveland, and they group together nicely since they're both nonfiction and pop-culture related:

Sex and the City and Us: How Four Single Women Changed the Way We Think, Live, and Love (by Jennifer Keishin Armstrong)

I love this show despite its profound flaws, and deeply enjoyed reading this and revisiting the show.  Nothing ground-breaking or earth-shattering, although I did like the observation, on the "feud" between Sarah Jessica Parker and Kim Cattrall, that nobody ever asked James Gandolfini if he was friends with everyone else on The Sopranos. As problematic as the show is -- and the book doesn't shy away from it -- it is also in many ways underrated. A fun read.

Robin (by Dave Itzkoff)

Meticulously researched, a definitive biography of Robin Williams. Well worth reading if you've ever admired his work, and absolutely full of new insight and perspective about this talented performer. Although he wasn't always my cup of tea, especially when his work got overly manic or mawkish, but I admired many of his performances greatly, especially those in Aladdin and Dead Poets Society. I also met him once, circa 1990, when I was working on a TV special, and he effortlessly cracked up the cast and crew between takes. It was the "on" and hilarious version of him that many in this memoir spoke about, and I'm lucky to have gotten to experience a sprinkle of that myself.  Oh, and I have to say my favorite part was the examination of his relationship with Billy Crystal. What a true, touching friendship.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Maureen said...

I love your observation on how no one asks male actors if they were great friends on set. Sometimes when I read interviews the actors may volunteer information, but it isn't a question! Just a reminder how women are still expected to "play nice".

2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home