Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Business Trip Reads

As per usual, I'm lumping all the books I read on my recent business trip together. I also read 40% of three other books (two for the Read Harder Challenge) but haven't finished any of them yet!

Pretty Girls (by Karin Slaughter)

This is a fairly lurid thriller. It is a page turner and well-plotted, but also disturbing, and I had to take breaks sometimes because of that! I'm not sure whether I'll read more by her or if they're a bit too gruesome for me -- anyone have any thoughts or recommendations?
 
Nasty Women: Feminism, Resistance, and Revolution in Trump's America (Edied by Samhita Mukhopadhyay and Kate Harding)

This was my anthology selection for the Read Harder Challenge and I really loved it. I had to read it an essay at a time because as Kate Harding's essay explores, the pain of losing the election in 2016 is still fresh. My favorite piece is the one by Randa Jarrar, a Muslim woman traveling in America. I would love to read a memoir by her! But I loved a lot of them and found it an incredibly worthwhile, if sometimes painful, read.

Tell Me Three Things (by Julie Buxbaum)

I took breaks from the above two books, each difficult in its own way, to read this fluffy YA romance. Great choice for a flight, too! This is a You've Got Mail-style romance via instant message and email.  (Yes, I know the original was Shop Around the Corner, but... email.)  Pretty predictable, but satisfying anyway, and the throughline of our protagonist dealing with her mom's death is poignant.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home