Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Vacation Reads: Costa Rica Edition

It's time for another edition of Vacation Reads! I went with a "light and fun" theme, because my vacation was really about relaxing and unplugging from the hellscape that is today's America. Also, all these books start with a T.

The Glitch (by Elisabeth Cohen)
Hilarious, satirical novel about a type-A CEO who is so clueless and such a terrible wife/mother, but you root for her anyway! A delightful skewering of Silicon Valley and Leaning In to the extreme.
 
Things I Should Have Known (by Claire Scovell LaZebnik)
A young adult romance about a girl with an older sister who is autistic. I liked the concept a lot, but I also liked it more than the execution. I didn't connect to the main character that much, and things seemed to come a bit too easily for her.

Truly Devious (by Maureen Johnson)
Part one of a planned trilogy, and I'm glad I knew that because it's definitely not a standalone (almost nothing gets resolved). A Sherlock Holmesy girl is trying to solve a 1936 murder at an eccentric boarding school -- and the murderer may have struck again in the present. A scene-setting novel, but I'm definitely in for the next one!

Tell the Machine Goodnight (by Katie Williams)
I was most excited to read this one because I loved the concept -- this is a sci-fi novel about a machine that tells you things to do (like eat tangerines or stop talking to your brother) to make you happier. I was hoping this would go into a harder sci-fit direction but it is more of a character exploration that reads as linked short stories. I ended up really enjoying it once I got into it, and could have happily lived in this near-future world much longer.

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (by Becky Chambers)
This is less plotty and more of an introduction to the ragtag crew of a spaceship as they go on a mission to punch a hole in space. Although the overarching plot is a bit slight, the worldbuilding is creative and delightful, with great characters of many fascinating species. Very happy there's a sequel; I put the next one on hold immediately, of course!

The Death of Mrs. Westaway (by Ruth Ware)
Not bad -- a good page-turner for an airplane, with a good mystery plot and a satisfying conclusion. But I found it to be somewhat flimsy and desultory, somehow? I enjoy Ruth Ware but she's more of a B-minus read for me, I'm finding.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home