Tuesday, November 03, 2009

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows)*

I'm not sure if this is a really good book or just a really good audiobook. It's an epistolary novel set right after the end of World War II, covering the correspondence between an author living in London and the inhabitants of Guernsey, in the Channel Islands. It confronts some of the horrors of war, but is ultimately a lighthearted? is that the word? book. Without glossing over or minimizing things, it is ultimately not a depressing read.

I can recommend this 100% if you listen to your books. The audiobook is read by something like four or five people. They're almost perfect; the one guy who has to do an American accent is clearly no Hugh Laurie, because his accent sucks--then again, the authors have this "American" using adjectives like "bloody" so it's not exactly spot-on either way. But mostly, the voice actors are terrific.

I was really sad every time I put in a new CD, thinking it was one disk closer to being over! The book creates a delightful world peopled with delightful characters, and I wanted to stay in it longer. Thumbs up!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Maureen said...

This is a REALLY good book! I have read it at least 3 times, it just keeps getting better and better. It's funny, I used to work at a bookstore, and there was an ARC for this book in the break room for a really long time. The title put me off, but I finally took it home-and couldn't put it down. When it was published, I sent a copy to my sister, and she called me crying when she finished it, she loved it so much.

Anyway, I am so glad you liked it, and while I haven't heard the audiobook, I can certainly vouch for the printed version.

10:31 AM  
Blogger mo pie said...

I looked on Amazon and it looks like most people there love it too! So it seems to be just a really good book, straight out. If only it were twice as long...

11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home