Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Never Let Me Go (by Kazuo Ishiguro)

This is a novel on the Time 100 booklist that I have heard people rave about for years, and which I borrowed from a friend in my book group. I started it before bed, then stayed up late finishing it and I already want to re-read it. Melancholy, haunting, strange, compelling. I feel like I'll break the spell if I say too much--you're better off not knowing anything at all going into it. But it's just as good as The Remains of the Day and that's really saying something. It's just good in a completely different way. But I think it's another one, like Remains, that will stick with me.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Kevin said...

Brilliant novel. Ishiguro's a genius.

12:21 PM  
Blogger mo pie said...

There was one book by him that I didn't like, and now I can't remember what it was. It's the only other Ishiguro I've ever read. Any recs for my next Ishiguro? Seriously, I loved this book so much.

2:59 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Well, "Remains of the Day" is considered his other masterpiece. It's good, but "Never Let Me Go" is his best, IMO.

9:28 AM  
Blogger mo pie said...

"Remains of the Day" is one my favorite books ever. I meant I'd read a third one that I couldn't remember the title of. I'll have to check out what else he's written. :)

10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home