Monday, September 21, 2009

Finger Lickin' Fifteen (by Janet Evanovich)*

That little asterisk means "audiobook" and I'm betting you'll see a lot of those between now and the end of the year. I'm commuting between two and three hours a day until December, and I've decided I need to start making better use of that time, so audiobooks it is!

I bought this one just to kick start the process, although I'm going to be getting more from friends and the library and so forth. I think I've read all the other books in the Stephanie Plum series, although it's difficult to tell, since they seem to be all the same. In this one, Stephanie's broken up with Morelli for no good reason, and then doesn't even bother to sleep with Ranger even though she's basically living at his house and is supposedly attracted, what the hell. WHAT IS THE POINT OF THE WHOLE MORELLI BREAKUP, THEN? Plus, men are always kissing her in various places, as if she has no agency, and it's annoying.

This one is so formulaic it even features a cross-dressing dude and a bunch of fart jokes. It is reasonably diverting and I like the BBQ contest premise and subplot, but I seriously think Evanovich should reconsider her "give the people what they want!" philosophy if that means zero character growth or development or change, ever, for anyone.

Also, I don't know if this is the audio format talking (it probably is) but I noticed two tics that really bugged me. By the time I started counting them, I was already annoyed, so I'm sure it's more than this, but I counted at least seven instances of variations on "I blew out a sigh" instead of simply "I sighed" and seven "He cut his eyes to me" instead of "he glanced at me." I don't know why Evanovich enjoys "blew out a sigh" and "cutting eyes to" so much, but it got really irritating, by the end.

2 Comments:

Blogger K said...

Hello Mo!

I sort of gave up on Evanovitch because of the love interests not building to a satisfactory conclusion. I might yet pick her up again...

Recently I was reminded of her when reading Patricia Briggs's Mercy Thompson novels - though they're not as laugh-out-loud funny. And they have hot werewolves. But otherwise, quite similar. Sort of.

1:04 PM  
Blogger mo pie said...

K, this is not the moment to pick her up... she's completely treading water, it's incredibly annoying.

7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home