Friday, September 09, 2005

Main Street (by Sinclair Lewis)

Thank god this one was over. This was a slog. I started reading it at work at my old job and in the meantime I've gotten fired, moved to Wisconsin, started my new job, and still have been slowly, deathly slowly, reading the same book. Free at last! Free at last!

I don't even know what to say about it: it was overlong, short on action, and boring. These notes say, "The book touches on eternal American issues, such as women’s rights, business among friends, and the spirit of anti-intellectualism that has always been at the center of small-town America, where sensitivity is often equated with self-absorption."

So there's the theme for you. I still say it was a big bore. Your mileage may vary.

"She had fancied that her life might make a story. She knew that there was nothing heroic or obviously dramatic in it, no magic of rare hours, nor valiant challenge, but it seemed to her that she was of some significance because she was commonplaceness, the ordinary life of the age, made articulate and protesting."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I call "Main Street" a meat and potatoes book - one has to be in the right mood to read it. There are some wonderful books I've slogged through. The first time I read "Pride and Prejudice" that was the case, the second time it wasn't. I flew through "Main Street" so I was in the mood to read that style at the time.

Mary Alice Chambers, Hot Springs, Arkansas

8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home