Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Meditations for Mortals: Four Weeks to Embrace Your Limitations and Make Time for What Counts (by Oliver Burkeman)

Four weeks of meditations (aka short essays) about the transience of life, embracing limitation, embracing imperfection, and learning to live in the now.

I think I discovered this book while browsing a bookstore next door to a movie theater where I was meeting friends, and added it to my library holds. Then a friend said "oh yes this author also wrote 4000 Hours and I loved that."  So lo and behold, it ended up in my Libby app and I read one meditation per day or so for a month, 

Absolutely loved this book. So many tidbits I highlighted and sent to my friends, and I had some liberating moments along the way.  For example, I've had "try meditation" on my to-do list forever. Because I feel like I "should" be a person who meditates. But at the same time I've been able to improve my mental health a lot without it, and also, I have been diagnosed with ADHD and so meditation is hard. I can just walk in nature or do jigsaw puzzles and listen to music and make art and other things that I find relaxing and meditative. I never have to become a person who meditates! So damn it, I'm not going to1  See? LIBERATION!

I think everyone can get something out of this book and highly recommend it to nonfiction readers. 

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home