Monday, July 27, 2026

Before the Coffee Gets Cold (by Toshikazu Kawaguchi)

The RHC category for this was "a work of magical realism or fabulism" - it's the first book in a popular Japanese series about a cafe where sitting in a particular seat can send you back or forward in time - for just long enough until the coffee gets cold.

This was made up of four vignettes of different people using the time travel seat, and the community within the cafe itself. 

I was curious as to why Goodreads average was so low and it was pointed out that the book is mainly about women who end up sacrificing themselves - over and over again. Really all four stories kind of qualify here.  (I looked it up and yes, the author is a man.)  I don't know if this continues for the rest of the series but it is a bit striking!) 

That said, I love Japanese literature anyway and its cozy vibes, even if it stressed me out how vague "before the coffee gets cold" is. (Only to find out they have an alarm they can use in special cases... just always use the alarm!)  If you've read beyond this first book, let me know if it's worth continuing! 

 

 

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home