Monday, February 12, 2024

My Fair Brady (by Brian D. Kennedy)

I have been starting and abandoning a lot of young adult novels; I think my standards have gotten higher. Which is why My Fair Brady was such a delight - good characters, excellent plot, well written, diverse without being try-hard, and featuring queer theater nerds and social anxiety. 

Wade is a theater star and Elijah joins the tech crew hoping to make friends. Elijah asks Wade to Henry Higgins him into a popular kid; Wade wants to impress his ex-boyfriend by taking on Elijah as a project. The way it evolves is naturalistic, has some surprising moments, and feels authentic. As a bonus, it's genuinely funny without, again, trying too hard.

If you're a queer YA fan, and especially if you're also a theater fan, this one is well worth your time. 

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home