Sunday, December 31, 2023

American Mermaid (by Julia Langbein)

A Tournament of Books shortlist entry.  Two intertwining storylines: a screenwriter goes to L.A to make a version of her novel into the movie, and then excerpts from the novel. 

The L.A. satire was sometimes funny, sometimes frustrating. (Mostly the main character's terrible choices were frustrating.) The novel within the novel had the more exciting plot, although it doesn't really make much sense, and then everything tried to wrap itself up with magical realism?

I don't know, I didn't hate it and will enjoy discussing it in the Tournament of Books, but it wasn't my favorite.  I placed my zombie vote for Open Throat, and I still stand by that one so far.  Eleven books to go if I'm going to be a shortlist completist for the first time ever!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home