Monday, January 22, 2024

Thesis and Antithesis

No, that's not a book title, just a way of describing this pair of books. 

Brainwyrms (by Alison Rumfitt)

I read this for the Tournament of Books and only because a friend and I are trying to be shortlist completionists this year.  It was truly one of the most unpleasant reading experiences I have ever had. I wanted the cover away from my Kindle as quickly as possible.  It's a body horror novel about anti-trans sentiment in the UK, and I admire the audacity, but boy, was this ever gross. Just like... so gross. Not poorly written. But.... very very gross.

A Family Affair (by Harper Bliss)

I needed something completely different, so immediately bought (yes, I actually purchased this one) a lesbian romance that was advertised to me on Facebook, about a woman who has an affair with her sister-in-law.  (If you don't like reading about cheating or forbidden romance, this is not for you, although it is handled sensitively.) This had one of my pet peeves, which is dialogue that doesn't sound like words anyone would actually say.  One character describes another by saying: "Although a touch distant, she was very nice."  I mean can you imagine anyone saying "Although a touch distant" in an actual spoken sentence?  But still, it is exactly what I needed to read and I enjoyed it, cheesiness and all.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home