Monday, September 11, 2023

My Brother's Husband (by Gengoroh Tagame)

And the category is, "Read a graphic novel/comic/manga if you haven’t before; or read one that is a different genre than you normally read." I have read plenty of graphic novels, but never a manga, so that is what I decided to tackle this time - the two volumes of My Brother's Husband.  And as with most graphic novels, I opted to read this one on paper.  It was enough of an adjustment figuring out how you're supposed to read it (from back to front and left to right - I looked at guides online) to try and do that digitally.

This is the story of a Japanese father whose twin brother moved to Canada and married a man. His brother dies before the story begins, and his widower visits Japan to connect with his husband's brother and niece.  The brother has to confront the subtle nature of homophobia in Japan as well as his own behavior towards his brother when he was alive. 

The characters are wonderful, the art is beautiful, the story is realistic and moving. Kana, the little girl of the family, is so delightful and charming. I'm so glad I read this and highly recommend.


Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home