Monday, August 28, 2023

Books Read While Melting

Another set of books finished on a trip - this time a work trip to Austin during a week when the temperatures were in the 100-110 range. Thus, the melting.  Although I read many of these on airplanes and in cool hotel rooms, as always.

Sorry, Bro (by Taleen Voskuni) 

This book is a debut by an Armenian-American author. I loved the Armenian proverbs that began each chapter and were woven throughout the text.  The writing was subtly funny and there was great chemistry between the leads. Great cast of characters and amazing main character. I kept letting this one expire because the title put me off, but I'm glad I kept putting it back on my library list so I could finally get to it!

The Appeal (by Janice Hallett) 

A really fun epistolary mystery, and such a page-turner. Clever, funny, super satisfying and entertaining. If you're a fan of Agatha Christie-style mysteries, you have to read this one.

The Ship of Dreams: The Sinking of the Titanic and the End of the Edwardian Era (by Gareth Russell) 

One of the RHC categories this year is once again "Pick a challenge from any of the previous years’ challenges to repeat!" and I've been working on the 2015 challenges, since I started the RHC in 2016 so I missed that year completely. If I don't do any double counting, I've completed 14 categories from that challenge, but this is the one that is the most unique so this is the one I think I'll count for 2023.  A microhistory zooms in on a small event in history and connects it to a broader context, which this fits perfectly. It was also really fascinating, although very focused on the aristocracy.  (It all made sense when the author gave a shoutout to his friend Emerald Fennell at the end - he's clearly from that class himself.) Still, fascinating!

Your Emergency Contact Has Experienced an Emergency (by Chen Chen)

As with most poetry collections, uneven with moments of transcendence. Read for the category "book of poetry by a BIPOC or queer author" (Chen is both).  He includes a memorial poem to Justin Chin, a poet who I met at his reading with Beth Lisick decades ago that was part of the reason I moved to the San Francisco area to study poetry.  I had no idea Chin had died in the interim; I still have his signed book somewhere. But at any rate, I liked this fine.

If Tomorrow Doesn't Come (by Jen St. Jude)

The Sapphic spiritual successor to The Fault in Our Stars. A tearjerker that reads like a YA but allows the characters to just be in college already.  Reminded me also a bit of Last Night (the Canadian film starring Sandrah Oh) with its apocalyptic setting.  Also recommended! Hey, I enjoyed most of these books! Love when I get a good run like this.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home