Wednesday, May 31, 2023

Three May YAs

Finished these in May, but have been ill and haven't had a chance to update the blog... or read anything so far in June. But here are some brief reviews of these:

We Can’t Keep Meeting Like This (by Rachel Lynn Solomon) 

Goodreads readers are very upset at the portrayal of a secular Muslim character in this novel. I have met secular Muslims (my college roommate, among others) and so it rang true to me, but I am not Muslim so I'm probably not the one to say if this is okay.  However, I will say The Love Match does an amazing job of representing a range of Muslim characters authentically and if this is a consideration for you, I recommend that one. As for this one, I enjoyed the main character and her journey of self-exploration and her struggles with OCD. 

Something Like Possible (by Miel Moreland) 

Overall a good read, but the romance was a little odd / felt somewhat arbitrary at the beginning. She kind of randomly picks out one of two queer girls with no indication that she is attracted to the love interest over the other girl, kind of bizarre. Ultimately I was glad my squicky feelings at the beginning about one particular character were validated by the end and I thought the wrapup was satisfying and good. 

Always the Almost (by Edward Underhill)

I thought this was going to be way too simple but really liked the complications of Miles’s feelings about his ex, Shane, and the story of his piano playing as he prepares for a big competition alongside the romance plot. Also I enjoyed the unique perspective of someone who is very newly out as trans and how that impacts him. I did think the love interest was a little too good to be true but who doesn't need some trans joy these days?  Enjoyed.

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home