Saturday, October 27, 2018

Lethal White (by Robert Galbraith)

My favorite Cormoran Strike book so far!

I will confess that I'm never as interested in the mystery as in the relationship between Strike and Robin, which played itself out so deliciously in this book. But I did enjoy the mystery in this case too! In fact I didn't mind the book being overly long-winded (it's 650 pages long) because I was engrossed in the details and the characters.

Galbraith (aka J.K. Rowling) does a great job with tiny scenes and details (upper crust people have names like Fizzy and Torquil, it's delightful) and kept me engrossed while I was waiting for the next interaction between the two colleagues.

One thing I will say is that Matthew was always hateable but in this book he's a caricature. (Spoilers ahead; RSS readers skip to the next paragraph) I really wanted Robin to come to the realization that she didn't love him even if he wasn't a complete asshole. But of course he has to cross the line and she can leave with a clear conscience. It's not always that simple and I wished the book had reflected that. On the other hand, her PTSD and anxiety are treated with the nuance missing from the Matthew storyline.

The cliffhanger at the end of book three was a killer, and we had to wait a long time for book four, so I'm glad we're left on a less tense relationship moment. I still can't wait for book five, though! Mostly to see what happens next with Strike and Robin....

(I do so love Robin.)

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home