Saturday, June 02, 2018

Head On (by John Scalzi)

I'm holding off on reading the latest Scalzi series because I don't like cliffhangers (by the time I read the next book, I'll have forgotten everything) so in the meantime, I read the sequel to Lock In, the delightful Head On. 

It's a fast-paced, Salzi-esque style mystery about Chris Shane and his/her partner, Leslie Vann. (The gender of Chris is deliberately unspecified; my evidence that Chris is male is the phrase "take a piss" in the first book and "barbershop" in this one.) (Chris is not canonically either gender, John has made that clear.) (But he also said the book belongs to the reader so I'm going male.) (Although if I listen on audiobook I'm totally going for Amber Benson's version.)

This was difficult for John to write (as he's been open about on his blog) but it doesn't show. It's tightly plotted, with a great cast of characters and enough suspects to make the mystery interesting. It all unfolds in a way that is fun and makes sense. There's a pretty high body count if you're sensitive to these types of things.  Obviously the best character is Donut the cat.

A fun read; thanks for a distraction from the dumpster fire, John.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger BC said...

Whoa. I totally read Chris as male.

Alas, the Amber Benson narration isn't great. I switched to Wheaton halfway through the first one even though it meant I had to buy it again.

8:24 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Yeah, I think I assumed Chris was male from the beginning and since I'm a fan of Wil Wheaton as a narrator (enjoyed his narration of Red Shirts and Ready Player One), I chose his version of the audio. I like to read books and later revisit them on audio on my commute.

6:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home