Tuesday, May 29, 2018

How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk (by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish)

This book was recommended by my sister and her partner many years ago, and it was one of the many books I bought when Mina was a baby that I never got around to reading. But it was always on the top of my list and made it to my 2018 master to-do list, which motivated me to finally cross it off.

I definitely think it is a worthwhile read and has a lot of good tips in it. (It also validates some of the things that we are already doing.). It does feel regressive and dated at times -- for example, the cartoon fathers are doing crosswords and paying bills, while the cartoon mothers are ironing and vacuuming.  There are also kind of offhand references to hitting children as if it's a common thing to do (in my Northern Californian parent community, it is definitely not). 

I think where we could use the help as parents is in encouraging more independence and autonomy.  So I liked the tips around that, and will photocopy the cheat sheets to keep as reference. We are also guilty of "did you have fun?" and this book made me think about the downsides of that question.  I think you can pick and choose what resonates with you, but if you're a parent, I would be surprised if you didn't get at least one good tip out of this book!

Could use some updated cartoons, though.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home