Monday, November 02, 2015

Career of Evil (by Robert Galbraith aka J.K. Rowling)

As per usual with this series, the central relationship between Cormoran and his partner Robin is the best part about the book. It gets really good in this one, even though we're left a bit hanging by the ending. Since "Galbraith" seems to be putting these out at a rate of one per year, I'm guessing she'll come back to the dangling plot threads in the next installment. I do so love/hate a good cliffhanger!

This is by far the best of the three books in the series, and I did enjoy the first two. This one is a step above, though. It isn't perfect in that it's a bit slow paced in points, but again, I don't mind this if it means more time spent with the characters. At the same time this installment ups the creepy factor (many chapters from the point of view of the Ted Bundy-esque killer) and has Rowling's signature plotting style, which is always fun to read.

If you liked the first two, you'll love this one. If you haven't gotten into the series, start with the first one, as the relationship between Robin and Cormoran is really key to enjoying it. (And Robin continues to be everything that is awesome. If Hermione Granger were a detective's assistant, she'd be Robin.) 

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Big *laugh* Sweta !!!! said...

I totally adore this series too, Ms.Mo Pie (?)! I was waiting to get my hands on it and I must agree, though this book was stretched and drove me on a clueless hunt, it was the reason why I read this book at a break neck speed. The ending was a cliffhanger I didn't understand at all. What is the author trying to convey?

2:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home