Thursday, October 15, 2015

Death on the Nile (by Agatha Christie)

Seems like a weird oversight that I never read this one, as it's pretty famous! There's even a movie version! But I checked and it doesn't look like it's on my list anywhere, plus I didn't remember the plot. I picked it up because I was looking for something light -- what with coming up on a busy time for work, still reading Quixote, and working on my brand new young adult novel (I already have a very lean but complete first draft done).

Anyway this was a fun read and was definitely a classic Christie experience; I liked the cast of characters and all their different secrets and lies and motivations. It's actually got a pretty huge cast, but each character is vividly drawn. The resolution is of course a surprise with lots of red herrings, but does make perfect sense when Hercule Poirot puts it all together.

What other famous Christies have I totally failed to read? Or maybe haven't read in a while? I just re-read And Then There Were None, having completely forgotten the twist there. Maybe I should re-read Roger Ackroyd or Orient Express next, although both of those twists are impossible to forget!




Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger BC said...

I always feel like Death on the Nile is more famous than it ought to be. It's one of her biggies, right? But I can never remember what happens.

After my recent reread I think I decided that The Mirror Crack'd is her hands-down best. I wanted to murder that woman myself.

10:03 AM  
Blogger mo pie said...

It is one of the biggies, which makes it weird to me that I hadn't read it! It's no Roger Ackroyd (which I finished re-reading today) but still enjoyable.

I'm not sure if I've read The Mirror Crack'd, but I tend to not love the Marple ones. I'm a Poirot girl.

7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home