Monday, August 31, 2015

We Were Liars (by E. Lockhart)

Picked this up at a bookstore and got sucked in. It's a hard one to write about though, since the narrator has amnesia (or does she) after an accident (or was it) and is unreliable (or is she reliable after all). The setting is appealing -- a private island off Martha's Vineyard owned by a Kennedy-esque family. There is a main house and three smaller houses owned by each of three daughters, echoes of King Lear. Rich people behaving badly. And there is a Secret to be Uncovered.

You know I can't resist an unreliable narrator. The ending is earned, and though it's somewhat predictable -- I certainly don't think it's completely predictable. Again, I'm struggling with what to write, since I think the less you know, the better. It's an entertaining YA read, and you probably already know if you'd like it. If you've read it, let's talk spoilers in the comments.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger BC said...

I am reading this now, based entirely on your recommendation, and I am loving it so far.

11:49 AM  
Blogger mo pie said...

Oh excellent! You may hate it by the end, we'll see. :)

8:52 PM  
Blogger jen fu said...

I loved We Were Liars! I think you would (both) also really love The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks, her first book, I think it is? It's awesome.

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home