Saturday, August 15, 2015

The Other Typist (by Suzanne Rindell)

This is a psychological thriller with an unreliable female narrator, in the vein of Gone Girl and The Girl on the Train. I was hooked by the protagonist being a police typist in 1920s New York, and the description of the novel as being Patricia Highsmith meets F. Scott Fitzgerald noir.

I have some criticisms of the novel: it drags a bit in the middle, is too heavy handed with the foreshadowing, there are anachronisms sprinkled throughout, and the final twist leaves some major plot loopholes no matter how you interpret it (there are multiple points of view).

As everyone knows, I'm a sucker for an unreliable narrator, and there's a lot to like about this one. I did find the narrator and the setting compelling. But I keep comparing her to Charles Kinbote, and Rose unfortunately pales in comparison.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home