Friday, November 25, 2011

The Marriage Plot (by Jeffrey Eugenides)

Reading this book, I didn't know about all the David Foster Wallace controversy (to what extent is the character of Leonard based on him, and is it a mean-spirited portrayal, even if it is?) I also have not read Middlesex. So it is from a particularly ignorant point of view that I say I deeply enjoyed this novel.

Digging into it was like digging into Visit from the Goon Squad, just really good, really enjoyable literary fiction. I loved the characters, as annoying as each of then were at times. (Yes, Leonard felt most annoying of all.) I adored the ending. Just a great, juicy, enjoyable read. Is Middlesex this good? I'd better get to it.

(I really wanted to highlight or dog-ear a number of passages in the book, but I was borrowing a copy. I'll have to re-read it so I can pull out my favorite quotes.)

2 Comments:

Anonymous JL said...

Yes, Middlesex was pretty good, but I think The Virgin Suicides was better.

I haven't read The Marriage Plot yet, but I imagine I'll enjoy it as much as I did the other two.

Just wanted to say that it's good to see you're still around, MsMo!

8:40 PM  
Blogger mo pie said...

Thanks, JL! Nice to know someone is still reading :)

I loved the movie Virgin Suicides; will that sully my opinion of the book?

3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home