Sunday, June 19, 2011

Will Grayson, Will Grayson (by John Green and David Levithan)

YA on the Kindle is a bad idea; one night of breastfeeding and this book was done! I enjoy John Green, so I knew I would enjoy this, about two guys named Will Grayson. I liked the focus on gay teenage boys (only one of the Wills is gay, but there are a number of gay characters that feature heavily in the plot).

I wish the depression stuff had been handled with more depth; I think the issue is that Green's half is better written than Levithan's half, and it's Levithan's Will who is depressed. There is some discussion of how depression is a real thing and often misunderstood by teenagers, but it's underexplored, I think.

Overall, worth reading if you like YA (especially John Green's stuff).

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home