Monday, November 07, 2011

The Acceptance World: Book Three of A Dance to the Music of Time (by Anthony Powell)

For some reason, this volume didn't grab me as much as the first two, and thus it took me a while to finish it. I also saw some reviews (which I guess only show up on your Kindle, not on the Amazon site) talking about how Powell is clearly satirizing his friends like George Orwell and all these other people. Reading that I realized how much of the satire I'm probably missing in these books! But I'm enjoying them anyway. This one less so. Still overall, an interesting world is beginning to develop. Plus, the narrator is having a hot and heavy affair with a married woman who at one point answers the door naked. So how bad can it be?

"There is always a real and an imaginary person you are in love with; sometimes you love one best, sometimes the other."

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Shalini said...

This is not on topic to your post AT ALL, but! I used to read your various blogs for many, many years (but never commented, because I was shy, even in anonymous internet ways, but I've working on that), before my children robbed me of my luxurious work free-time. Anyhow, I just googled your name after I saw a commenter with "mo pie" as a name and got unduly excited that it was somehow YOU. So! This comment has no point! Except to say that I am a big fan of yours and am glad you are still around for me to secretly stalk. (I also liked WG, WG, the only one of these books I've read recently, but my problem with Green's books is that I find all the female characters vaguely flat and used as plot devices rather than people. Not everyone agrees with that. He is still funny and a good writer, so it makes my ragey feelings dampen a bit.) OK, sorry I wrote a novel in your comments section.

2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home