Saturday, January 10, 2009

Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire (by Amanda Foreman)

Not as can't-put-down-able as any given book by Antonia Fraser (who, as I said below, is my high watermark for historical nonfiction) but still a fascinating look into the life of the Duchess of Devonshire. I of course was curious after seeing the Keira Knightley movie as to the "real" story behind the film, and I wasn't disappointed---lots more detail about her role in fashion, politics, culture, and her strange personal life.

The biggest problem for me was that I liked the personal stuff more than the political stuff, and there was a LOT about Whig politics in here. Then when the book ended, I wanted to know: what happened with George III? What happened with the Prince of Wales? I mean obviously, that's what Wikipedia is for. But I thought the focus was a little too narrow at the end, and didn't place Georgiana's life and times into the larger context as effectively as it could have.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home