Friday, January 09, 2009

The Lady Elizabeth (by Allison Weir)

I picked this up in another airport, I think, hoping for another Boleyn Girl only with more historical accuracy, given that Weir is an historian. Well, it did have some interesting historical detail and some speculation based on historical rumor, but not nearly as good as nonfiction about the period (especially Antonia Fraser's, which is my high watermark for historical nonfiction).

Plus, there was some super clunky writing! I even marked a page so I could copy it down for you. A friend and I had just been talking about the whole "...she exclaimed happily," "he sighed sadly," "she chirped perkily," speech markers thing, so I was hyper-aware of it. It was bad though, she couldn't help but notice unfortunately.
"Fret not," Kat soothed, taking her hand...
"Oh, I am so relieved!" Elizabeth exclaimed.
"You know I could never leave you," Kat declared fervently..."The King has constented to me marying in the Chapel Royal," she went on excitedly....
"As long as you promise to stay with me, Kat," Elizabeth said graciously. "And as long as I can be your bride-maid!"
"Of course!" cried Kat, ebullient with happiness."
"I shall have to have a new gown," Elizabeth reminded her.
"Naturally!" Kat enthused.

See what I mean?

1 Comments:

Blogger Kevin said...

"The road to hell is paved with adverbs." -- Stephen King

10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home