Tuesday, January 02, 2024

The Guest (by Emma Cline)

I love kicking off the year with a great read, don't you? This Tournament of Books entry is my first foray into Emma Cline and has a completely unsympathetic disaster of a main character and I absolutely loved every minute of it, including the ambiguous ending.

Alex is basically scamming her way across the Hamptons, trying to hang onto her rich boyfriend and ingratiating herself in other ways into the social scene there. She does not do a great job of this, but somehow we want her to keep coming out on top. Like the Talented Mr. Ripley, but with less murdering? 

This is not for everyone (the ending might be too ambigous for some) but if I were voting now for the ToB zombie, it would get my vote. Sorry Open Throat and Big Swiss, I still love you!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home