Friday, December 15, 2023

What You Are Looking For Is in the Library (by Michiko Aoyama, translated by Alison Watts)

This was one of my top picks from the ToB longlist and I was happy to see it make the shortlist.  It is billed as a novel but reads as interlocking short vignettes about people who go to a library and get magically recommended the perfect book by a mysterious librarian.

The only thing I didn't enjoy was that the librarian was described as so big it was shocking to people, and the narrators compared her to everything from Baymax to a giant panda to the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man. Every time we started a new vignette I was bracing myself for the description of this woman.

Apart from that, I adored the characters, each and every one. Each vignette was delightful and I loved that the resolutions to their problems were realistic and represented that tiny shift in consciousness that is very Joycean.  I always love the matter-of-fact, minutia-laden style of Japanese authors.  Just as delightful as I anticipated.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home