Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Cold People (by Tom Rob Smith)

I was hoping this wouldn't make the shortlist so I could DNF it but alas, it made the shortlist and my friend and I are trying to read the whole list, so I persevered. 

The writing is good, but world building here makes no sense and contradicts itself multiple times. (Are they all overcrowded or has everyone died? Is there "only one stained glass window on the continent" or is Notre Dame there? Do they have no technology left or do they somehow have supercomputers? Are humans unrealistically peaceful or unrealistically stupid? So many questions.)

The ending is the most irritating part, because it is unsatisfying in and of itself, and clearly meant to set up a sequel. I might read the Wikipedia summary of any sequels that come out but there's no way I'm reading more of this.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home