Thursday, March 16, 2023

Out of Character (by Jenna Miller)

Yay, a young adult book about a fat, nerdy, fandom-loving lesbian! (And "under 500 Goodreads ratings" so it qualifies for the RHC to boot.

There is a moment towards the beginning that stretched my suspension of belief to the breaking point (the thing with her mom) but otherwise I liked the real messiness of this and the fact that it didn't completely hinge on misunderstandings or other YA tropes. I guess Cass not admitting her involvement in fandom might qualify, but I understood why the character felt the way she did. I also have never seen such a realistic portrayal of fandom being used as escapism before, and I loved that.

Mostly, a really enjoyable YA that isn't perfect, but I wholeheartedly recommend anyway if it sounds like something you'd like. 

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home