Friday, March 10, 2023

Really Good, Actually (by Monica Heisey)

This was a really fun Read Harder Challenge category: "Read a book you know nothing about based solely on the cover." I selected it by wandering through Barnes & Noble and looking at book covers. It's been a while since I've had the pleasure of browsing around a bookstore, so that was fun! And I ended up liking this cover, both the design and the book title. Dutifully, I restrained myself from reading jacket copy or anything about it.

Speaking of which, I caught myself wanting to look up the description of the book halfway in to see if there was a "plot" to speak of.  I stopped myself from doing so but turns out there kind of wasn't. This novel is written by a comedy writer, I found out later, which makes sense - there are funny lines and the narrator is full of sarcastic witticisms, but the plot is very desultory. Her husband breaks up with her, she's a mess, the end.

The actual end, I thought, redeemed it quite a bit because it wraps up satisfyingly. But there's a lot of filler that's meant to be funner than it actually is. At moments - like the lists of Google searches - you get a flash that it could be very entertaining. But as it is, it needed tightening up.  Still, very fun category and a fun experiment to read a book blindly.


 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home