Friday, September 27, 2024

Factfulness: Ten Reasons We're Wrong About the World – and Why Things Are Better Than You Think (by Hans Rosling with Ola Rosling and Anna Rosling)

My final book of the Read Harder Challenge! (And I just realized I haven't updated my post all year, so I'll get on that.) The category was "a book about media literacy."

This is a book I wouldn't have read without the RHC and it's really great. Some of the data is outdated - usually it's even better than presented - but the 10 tips on interpreting the world around you are evergreen.  Rosling was a Swedish researcher and in this book he presented 10 instincts that we use for interpreting human behavior. 

The very first one, the gap instinct, was a good reminder during election season when things are very "us vs. them" and we envision the country as two polarized groups instead of a spectrum of people when it is, in fact, a spectrum. (Also, registering college voters in person this year was similarly enlightening.)  

Highly recommend this as a very digestible read that will help you interpret the world more clearly, and more hopefully.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home