Monday, September 23, 2024

The Devil's Flute Murders (by Seishi Yokomizo)

Another Japanese murder mystery! This time I had a really hard time keeping all the characters straight in my mind. I went to Goodreads and I wasn't alone - the cast of characters is large and not always rendered distinctively, and there are a lot of names starting with the same letter.  This is par for the course with murder mysteries but didn't gel for me here.

I also found the pace slow, the translation of the "accents" to be very odd. I enjoyed the reveal at the end even if I didn't fully follow everything (due in part, again, to a huge cast of characters and more being introduced as we go...) For the first time in reading a Japanese murder mystery, I found myself wishing for a western adaptation! The plot is good, but the execution wasn't great.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home