Saturday, March 02, 2024

Monstrilio (by Gerardo Sámano Córdova)

Down to three books left and four days to go in the Tournament of Books (one is 658 pages so finishing is unlikely, but I'll make sure to read whenever wins the play-in.)

I was worried Monstrilio - whose premise is "grieving mother grows a monster out of part of her dead son's lung" - would be both too gross and too depressing for me, but I was bought in right away when I realized the narrator was extremely weird, and her relationships were bizarre, and it was not the book I was expecting at all.

The second part is told by her best friend - who is in love with her. The third part from her ex-husband. And the final part by Monstrilio himself, the lung-monster. It uses the monster as a trope to show the lengths that family will go to protect each other, the magic of found family, and it's even been read as a queer allegory. It's one of those books that I would never have picked up without the tournament, and I'm so glad I did.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home