Friday, October 23, 2020

How to Be An Antiracist (by Ibram X. Kendi)

I read this as part of a book club for work. There are about seven of us reading it, and it's a really diverse group with a mix of perspectives that has made for great discussion.

Overall I found this engaging and thought-provoking. He challenged some of my ideas, too. I now agree with him that black people can be racist or use racist power structures to their benefit, but I also think it's not up to me as a white woman to call that out. However, I disagree that "microaggression" is not a useful term, as to me it really captures something that I didn't have words for before. I also don't think he was particularly thoughtful in discussing intersectionality. 

In the end, the book's strongest takeaway was that attacking racist policy at the root is the answer, and that sometimes policy change comes first and social acceptance comes later. (As in school integration, or Obamacare, or interracial or gay marriage.)  Supporting antiracist policy and policymakers is important, and talking about how to do that on a micro scale is something I'm looking forward to discussing at our last book group meeting today!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home