Friday, September 18, 2020

LGBTQ Young Adult Romance

Updating this post because a daily dose of LGBTQ YA is my current comfort reading, and I will probably read another one today to be quite honest.

Girl Crushed (by Katie Heaney)

I was going to highly recommend this, as it was a sweet queer romance with excellent writing. Also there was a bisexual character, which I always appreciate! But it turns out the author has made some biphobic statements in the past, particularly attacking "bisexual women married to straight men" which happens to include me. This made me see the bisexual character (and her commitmentphobia) through a new lens, as this does play into bisexual stereotypes. So I'm disappointed.  Yay amazing writing writing! Boo biphobia.

The Summer of Impossibilities (by Rachael Allen) 

This suffered a tiny bit by having some overly black-and-white characters and wrapped up a bit too neatly but still enjoyed this. Also had some similarities to my own YA in Amelia Grace's story (and makes me think I should potentially make my villains less black and white). 

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home