Friday, September 25, 2020

More Queer YA

If you noticed my edits to this post you may have noticed that I'm on a queer YA kick right now, I finished another one last night, re-read Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (boy I do not like Leah) and am halfway through my fifth queer YA in three days.  Maybe I'll keep this post in drafts until the time is right to publish.

I'll Be The One (by Lyla Lee) 

This is about a plus-sized Korean-American singer and dancer who joins a reality Kpop competition. I particularly enjoyed: looking up all the different Kpop songs and artists referenced; the complicated relationship she has with her mother, who is vocally ashamed of her weight; and as opposed to the last book I read, the amazing depiction of bisexual characters. No spoilers but one twist in particular made me extremely happy. There is some cartoon-level fatphobia but I can't be mad at it, really, since the message is so good. 

Hot Dog Girl (by Jennifer Dugan) 

Okay this is what I'm talking about! The perfect queer YA. Not super predictable, which I appreciated, and the setting (a dilapidated local amusement park) was so vividly drawn. This was funny and charming, and I absolutely loved the central romance. Highly recommended!

The Meaning of Birds (by Jaye Robin Brown)

This is about a girl grieving the death of her girlfriend from a flu-like illness compounded by asthma, so not exactly escapist fare. I was hoping there would be more of a healing narrative but she's really only starting to heal by the end, which makes for a realistic and touching read, but I really wanted less grief and anger since I am immersed in grief and anger right now. This was possibly not the book for this particular moment in time. 

Late to the Party (by Kelly Quindlen)

This was good but there was something off about it, perhaps a slight lack of a spark from the characters, particularly the main character. I wonder if it was the dialogue? Not sure! It was good but not great, for reasons I can't quite articulate. I feel like I have to keep reading these queer YA novels until I find one I enjoyed as much as Hot Dog Girl. Or well it's been a week since I started this binge, maybe it's time to read something else!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home