Monday, September 28, 2020

Loathe at First Sight (by Suzanne Park)

A feminist romcom set in Seattle's computer gaming industry. My husband works in this industry and everything about it was hilariously (if also depressingly) on point.

Melody Joo is our main character, a junior producer who jokingly pitches a game about male strippers stopping the apocalypse that ends up getting produced. I enjoyed the characters here, especially her Korean parents (reminded me very much of my Dutch parents) and her friends. It was refreshing to have a wedding bridezilla storyline that was handled reasonably. Melody was smart and good at standing up for herself, which I loved.

The weakness here for me was the romance itself. The "Loathe at First Sight" title would have worked better if she actually did get together with the character she loathed, a totally different person from her somewhat generic love interest, who she didn't exactly ever loathe. But I enjoyed everything else so much, I didn't really focus on the romance. Not ideal in a romcom but still made for an enjoyable read. 

(Note that she gets attacked by racist/misogynistic online trolls, and it's quite realistic, and potentially triggering.)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home