Monday, August 31, 2020

Final August Books

I finished up two books at the end of August in my quest to catch up on my reading goal; they were my 44th and 45th books of the year.

Midnight Sun (by Stephenie Meyer)

I bought this (yes, with money) so I could livetweet it with Jen, except she gave up on it but I couldn't stop so I livetweeted anyway. It was honestly so fun. Meyer retconned some of the more egregious moments, and there was a whole section with Edward talking about the importance of consent, lol okay Stephenie. But being in his emo brain made the book so much more enjoyable. My ironic love of Twilight continues. It's definitely ironic, okay.  Ironic love.

Real Queer America (by Samantha Allen)

Now here is a book I can wholeheartedly recommend, the memoir of a transgender journalist exploring rural America and kind of hating on coastal LGBTQ liberal elites, of which I am one, in the process. Her take gave me a new appreciation of the strength of queer communities when those communities are smaller and more endangered. It also made me want to take a roadtrip across America (sniffle) immediately. I appreciated her acknowledgement of intersectionality, the breadth of folks she interviewed, and the new perspective on rural America. And the writing, which is wonderful! A great read. 

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home