Friday, June 26, 2020

Juneteenth Reading

Part of my Juneteenth observance this year was some reading. First, Mina and I read Not My Idea: A Book About Whiteness. This is "a picture book about racism and racial justice, inviting white children and parents to become curious about racism, accept that it's real, and cultivate justice." We read through it twice and had a good conversation, which of course will be ongoing. 

Ian also recommended Just Mercy. It's hard for me to consume media like this, because it makes me so angry and helpless feeling. But I realize that's just another aspect of white fragility, and Not My Idea really did a good job of helping me confront that in myself. Just Mercy was great, too. Not hopeless but still so heartbreaking. Bryan Stevenson is truly an American hero for the work that he does. This is his organization.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home